Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Good Mom, Bad Mom

Today was a rough day. Kyle had to meet with the H & R Block guy at 7:00 which meant I was on my own for bed time. Both kids had been fussy all afternoon, and I by 4:00 I could not fathom being with them, alone, in this house, for another 2.5 hours. So I called Kyle and told him we were meeting him for dinner at 5:00 at a yummy Italian place we love, Fortuna. Dinner is going great, and the babies are behaving very good. That is until our waiter apparently had issues, and it took FOREVER to get our food! (Which has never happened to me, EVER, at that restaurant) We were 1 of 3 tables, so it's not like they were busy! We got our salads, but as soon as we finished trouble started brewing.

Of course we as parents, always think it is worse than it really is, but let me just say that by the time we left I had taken two bites of my slice of pizza, drank my entire glass of wine (and started going for Kyle's), and the floor around us looked like a bomb went off.literally.

One table had a couple who had grown b/g twins of their own, so they totally understood. Plus, the lady was a NICU nurse and was super sweet. She and her husband even came over to "get a closer look" when they finished eating. She (in her own way) blessed each one of the babies...how sweet is that? They told us how great and how beautiful/handsome the twins were. (It should be noted that they left before the you-know-what hit the fan.) In their place came a young, twenty-something couple who obviously had NO children. I was thinking to myself, "well M and P will be good birth control for them!" The wife thought they were precious and just loved Presley (I was walking her around at this point to distract her). Next to us was a table of 3 older adults who just went on and on about how lovely, cute, adorable, smart, etc the twins were. At one point one of the women looked at me and said, "I can tell you are a wonderful mom!" Wow. Here I am, nerves shot from a not so wonderful week with the babies, and a lady who has only been around me for 5 minutes is telling me I am a good mom. It made me stop and remind myself that you know what? I AM a good mom, and I have really good kids. There have been several times this week when I have told myself that I WASN'T a good mom for one reason or another. Mainly because the twins have really been wearing me down. It was very humbling to know that someone who doesn't know me from Adam feels strongly enough to tell me they think I'm a good mom.

So I guess the moral of the story is, next time you see a mom who is doing a great job, tell her! It could be just what she needed to get through another day (or thirty minutes!) :)

2 comments:

  1. A compliment not given is no compliment at all!

    It's nice to hear things from someone on the outside looking in, because we sometimes get so caught in the moment we forget to realize that we do great things.

    I think you are a fabulous mother AND your children are beautiful! I am slightly biased though because you are one of my bff's. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the woman, I can tell you are a wonderful mom to those sweet babies! I also loove Fortuna and miss it since we moved from FW. Love the kids Race for the Cure outfits, darling!

    ReplyDelete