Well in case I've never said it before, I'll say it now...I am not a fan of cancer! The last week in August, Kyle's dad (Popsie) was diagnosed with Glioblastoma, basically the worst form of brain cancer there is. This form is so bad because it is nearly impossible to completely remove the tumors. They have tendrils that send out cancer messages to the brain and other parts of the body, making cancer "nests".
He had only been having symptoms for about a week, the occasional forgetfulness or slow speech. No headaches or anything, and they just thought he was tired. He and Kyle's brother headed out on a week long fishing trip to Colorado. On the way up there, Brett noticed Frank was really slurring his words and having short term memory issues. They got to Colorado and spent Thursday night (August 25) in CO. The next morning Brett took Frank to the ER to get checked out. A CT scan showed a brain tumor, and they were advises to go back to Texas because immediate treatment was necessary. Well fast forward a week and on Thursday, September 1st, Frank had surgery at UT Southwestern in Dallas. After the surgery we received the news that the pathology test done during surgery showed it was highly malignant.
You can imagine the emotions that followed and have followed since then. He is currently receiving treatment at MD Anderson in Houston. On Wednesday he started six weeks or radiation in conjunction with chemo (pill form). He and his girlfriend Nona got a nice apartment and temporarily moved so he could get his six weeks of treatment. After the six weeks is over, he will go back home to Midland and have four weeks off. Then he will get a chemo pill for five days, every 28 days, so basically one week a month, for 12 months.
He is in great spirits and has healed amazingly from the surgery. His scar goes from ear to ear across the top of his head, but you can barely see it! He had 46 staples in his head after surgery and they definitely did their job!
Our family is taking things one day at a time, and we know he is getting the BEST care possible at MD Anderson. Like I said, he is doing really well and has such a positive attitude and I know that will aide his recovery process. Nona retired from being a school counselor this past May, and she has been taking such good care of him. She is definitely a blessing in his life and ours! He has so many people praying for him, but a few more wouldn't hurt if you want to include him in yours. :)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
Koala
10 months ago
I'm so glad to hear of the progress for Frank. I only met him a couple of times...but I know how cool a guy he is. I will keep y'all in my thoughts and know that I will do whatever I can, when I can, to help your family out. I'm good at that. :) Love to everyone, Sarah
ReplyDeletePraying for your family!
ReplyDelete